A microbial survey of food served to Oncohematology patients at a University Hospital
AbstractAlthough everyone is susceptible to foodborne diseases, the immunocompromised patients are particularly at risk of contracting foodborne illnesses and suffer more serious sequelae as a result of infection. The aim of the present work was to measure the degree of microbial contamination in different food stuffs, served to immunocompromised patients admitted at the Oncohematology unit in our hospital. Several types of foods were selected from those served to the oncohematology patients in our hospital. Samples of each food were taken at random from the central kitchen, the wards’ pantry as well as from the patients. Food included processed food stuffs as well as non-processed food stuffs. Samples were processed according to the protocol obtained from the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Bicêtre (2001). The total bacterial count, the total coliform count, the presence of Staphylococcus aureus, as well as the presence of fungal food contamination were determined and values obtained were compared to the accepted values cited in the protocol provided by the CHU Bicêtre (2001). Twenty one out of 28 examined processed food samples (75%) were free from any contamination. The remaining 7 samples (25%) yielded positive results on culture, yet the counts were considered acceptable. On the other hand, all of the non-processed food samples examined were contaminated (100%). Identified organisms were Pseudomonas, Aeromonas, Enterocci, Diphtheroid and Anthracoid. All examined samples were positive for fungal contamination with Aspergillus niger being the most commonly isolated mold. We concluded that non-processed food represents a potential risk of microbial exposure to the immunocompromised patients.
Copyright conditions: Copyright on any research article in the International Journal of Infection Control (IJIC) is retained by the author(s). Authors grant IJIC permission to publish the article and identify itself as the original publisher. Authors also grant any third party the right to use the article freely as long as its integrity is maintained and its original authors, citation details and publisher are identified. IJIC conforms to the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org) as terms and conditions of publishing research articles. In summary, anyone is free: • to copy, distribute, and display the work; • to make derivative works; • to make commercial use of the work; as long as: • the original author must be given credit; • for any reuse or distribution, it must be made clear to others what the license terms of this work are; • any of these conditions can be waived if the authors gives permission. Statutory fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above. Authors' certification: In submitting a manuscript to IJIC, authors are requested to certify that: • They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements. • They warrant, on behalf of themselves and their co-authors, that: o the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights; o they are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to IJIC are not in breach of any other obligation. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, they will notify IJIC at the time of submission; o the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy; o they have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article.